Cannabis genetic testing is one important piece of the puzzle for breeders and growers who want to produce the best end result for their clients. Without a firm grasp of cannabis genetics, it is impossible to provide the medicinal compounds and properties end-users desire. A plant with poor genetics can only be so good, even when all other factors are of the utmost quality. Solid genetics are the foundation of any decent cannabis product. That’s why the genetic testing of cannabis continues to be one of our top services here at Modern Canna Science.
Other factors affecting a cannabis strain’s quality include:
- Growing techniques
- Harvesting methods
- Curing process
Cannabis genetics testing for genotype
Cannabis genetics testing at Modern Canna Science includes the genotype – the plant’s genetic makeup inherited from its parents, and its blueprint for growth. The genotype details the entire spectrum of possibilities for a particular cannabis strain. In human biology, one has no control over the inherited genotype. Plant breeders and growers have a heavier hand in what gets passed from parent plants down to offspring, but the reality is that no two genotypes will be identical, even if purchased from the same family – unless a plant is cloned.
The decision to clone can produce greater reliability, though cloned genetics have a way of deteriorating after replicating for multiple generations. Knowing precisely what defined characteristics you’re working with will help you make the best decisions in the production of your strain.
Marijuana genetics testing for phenotype
Marijuana genetics testing a Modern Canna Science also includes the phenotype – the visible traits that emerge based on environment. The phenotype can be thought of as the observable smell, taste, color, shape, resin production, and potency of the marijuana. In human biology, you can think of phenotype as the way a person dresses, speaks, and acts based on the subculture they identify with, the career path selected, and the events that have unfolded over the years. Phenotypes explain why children with the same mother and father look slightly different.
A thorough understanding of marijuana phenotype helps cultivators explain the different varieties within a strain and breed for the characteristics they value most. The best breeders will hunt the phenotypes of thousands of seeds until they find one or two phenotypes they prefer to pass onto their growers.
What cannabis sequencing can do for you
Cannabis sequencing can help you:
- Unlock the mystery of your cannabis strains to assess stability and uniqueness.
- Determine closest relatives, clonal relationships, population origin, and ancestral links among your plants.
- Reduce variety and unpredictability in subsequent generations of plants you produce.
- Cultivate new, stable, unique strains with the beneficial traits you value most.
- Understand how to cross certain plants to get shorter grow times, larger harvests, and better highs.
- Take advantage of physical structure to create a variety suited to grow in a specific environment.
- Protect yourself against false patent claims and other legal controversies that may arise.
- Gather promotional information for marketing materials to highlight what makes your product special.
- Confirm your beliefs with scientific fact and make more informed business decisions.
How marijuana sequencing works
Modern Canna Science employs a staff of highly experienced scientists to oversee your marijuana sequencing projects. We use state-of-the-art sequencing technology to quickly and accurately generate quality data. We then analyze all sequence data using our proprietary bioinformatics system to determine the DNA fingerprint, agricultural yield, genetic relationships, and medicinal qualities of your samples.
Contact us for more information on cannabis genetic testing
Modern Canna Science has been Florida’s preeminent medical marijuana testing laboratory since 2014. We are capable of performing a full range of analytical tests to determine genetics, purity, and potency. We work with clients across the state of Florida to deliver prompt, accurate results that aid in compliance with the law and early experimentation within this young industry.
We believe through sampling and testing, breeders and growers can produce high-quality results that will assist patients who are relying on medicinal marijuana, as well as satisfy the needs of recreational users at the same time. Contact Modern Canna Science for a free quote on cannabis genetic testing.
Additional “Cannabis Genetics” Resources:
- Leafly – Cannabis Genotypes and Phenotypes: What Makes A Strain Unique, https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/cannabis-genotypes-and-phenotypes-what-makes-a-strain-unique
- Cannabis.info – All You Need To Know About Phenotypes and Genotypes, https://www.cannabis.info/en/all-you-need-to-know-about-phenotypes-and-genotypes
- Spliff Seeds – Plant Phenotypes & Pheno Hunting Explained, http://www.spliffseeds.nl/cannabis-plant-phenotypes-and-pheno-hunting-explained.html